We’re here, and we’re ready to go!
The latest storm abated overnight, and we woke this morning to clearing skies and gentle winds. The latest forecast – a series of screens showing blue or red musical-note thingies with varying numbers of tails – indicates three days coming up with 15-20 knot winds (which counts as a gentle breeze around here). So, the expedition is on….
We had a gentle 3-hour sail into King Haakon Bay, passing as we entered it Cape Cove where the James Caird made its first landing. It’s no more than a slot between the cliffs and a scoop of shingle beach. It must have looked like a welcome refuge but the wave surge drives straight up into it. As soon as they had recuperated, Shackleton ordered a move on round the bay to Peggotty Bluff where they established a camp.
Our afternoon has been full of welcome activity after yesterday’s waiting and watching. We have ferried the pulks (sledges) and a series of blue barrels full of all our gear across to the beach, we have loaded the pulks, we have been allocated our tents and camping partners (we’ll rope up in the same teams). Everything is now lying in three neat mounds at the snow margin. It should be safe enough there overnight. Unless one of the colossal elephant seals lollops over and attempts to mate with one of the prettier pulks. It has happened before….
This will be my last post before the end of the traverse. But there will be news every day – via Iridium phone from camp to boat, and then email from boat to London, from where the blog will be posted. Technology, eh?